Trends shaping advanced manufacturing in Asia Pacific
Mon, 02/14/2022 - 12:00
The Asia Pacific region is one of the global hubs for manufacturing and accounts for nearly 48.5% of the worldwide manufacturing output. Now, more countries in the region are developing advanced manufacturing capabilities to grow Industry 4.0. These emerging technologies also play a crucial role in helping us achieve our decarbonisation goals, as sustainability becomes a core priority in business operations.
Trends shaping advanced manufacturing in Asia Pacific in 2022, a report commissioned by SGInnovate and produced by Frost & Sullivan, explores trends around three key areas driving progress in Industry 4.0 technology development and its use in Asia Pacific – additive manufacturing, advanced materials and decarbonisation.
The report's insights are derived from in-depth interviews and a quantitative survey, which gathered insights from 200 industry professionals covering eight industry verticals across six Asia Pacific markets.
Key research findings:
- Startups are manufacturers’ preferred partners for product development in additive manufacturing. 44% of survey respondents have already invested in startups to integrate additive manufacturing into their processes.
- Industries such as aerospace, medical and electronics are more open to adopting emerging and futuristic materials. These include nanomaterials such as carbon nanotubes, carbon fibres and self-healing materials. One-third of companies in Singapore are open to using self-healing polymers (26%) in the next two years.
- While decarbonisation is an essential consideration for organisations in the region, technological issues such as engineering problems (61%) and the need for machine maintenance (60%) continue to hinder the adoption of decarbonisation technologies and solutions.
- Fusing a Passion for Connecting with People and His Love of Tech
- Understanding Singapore's early-stage emerging tech startup ecosystem
- The quest for a clean energy future: Is there a clear winner?
- Careers in Deep Tech: One young scientist’s journey at a fast-growing biotech startup
- The membrane scientist striving for a cleaner future