SMU School of Law,
Level 4 Function Lounge 4.02FL, 55 Armenian Street,
Healthcare AI for a Rapidly Ageing Singapore
Presented by SGInnovate Singapore Management University - Centre for AI & Data Governance
Singapore, like many other Asian and European countries, is in demographic trouble. With a rapidly ageing population that is living longer, there is an increasing need to provide additional medical services beyond the status quo.
To this end, Singapore is considering employing Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the healthcare sector. AI has already shown its ability to provide predictive analytics with the healthcare practice, particularly in the area of imaging where software can outperform humans. However, in employing AI, we have to be conscious of the many ethical, legal and social challenges, including but is not limited to:
- Development of a legal standard of care
- Issues relating to privacy and security
- Enlistment of off-the-shelf recreational technologies as part of the monitoring and treatment of the chronically ill
- Development of regulations, licensing rules, and standards
- Assessment of legal standards for malpractice, etc.
Date: 6 February 2020, Thursday
Time: 4:00pm – 6:00pm
Venue: SMU School of Law, Level 4 Function Lounge 4.02FL, 55 Armenian Street, Singapore 179943
- Prof Dov Greenbaum, Director, The Zvi Meitar Institute for Legal Implications of Emerging Technologies
- Dr Tan Jit Seng, Founder & Director, Lotus Eldercare and Vice President, Asia Pacific Assistive Robotics Association
- Julien Willème, Legal Director – APAC, Medtronic
Moderator: Sunita Kannan, ASEAN Lead for AI Advisory / Strategy and Responsible AI, Accenture
4:00pm – 4:30pm: Registration
4:30pm – 5:30pm: Panel Discussion and Q&A
5:30pm – 6:00pm: Networking
Prof Dov Greenbaum, Director, The Zvi Meitar Institute for Legal Implications of Emerging Technologies
Prof Dov Greenbaum has degrees and postdocs from Yeshiva University, Yale University, the University of California, Berkeley, Stanford University and ETH Zurich. Prof Greenbaum's doctoral research focused on informatics and big data.
Prof Greenbaum is a licensed attorney before the State of California and the United States Patent and Trademark Office and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional. He has practised law in Silicon Valley and Israel.
Prof Greenbaum currently directs the Zvi Meitar Institute for Legal Implications of Emerging Technologies and has a joint appointment at Yale University as a research affiliate in Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry.
Dr Tan Jit Seng, Founder & Director, Lotus Eldercare and Vice President, Asia Pacific Assistive Robotics Association
Dr Tan Jit Seng trained as a medical doctor and is currently a full-time eldercare clinician doing primary health care work. He has been running long-term home-based services for public, charity, military, social enterprise and private systems for the past 18 years.
Dr Tan has also been involved in health technology development since 2010, supporting:
- Government research organisations like A*STAR's Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R) on fall detection research using audio and vibration signatures; Agency for Integrated Care on the Nursing Home IT Enablement Programme (NHELP), an Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system for nursing homes; SG Enable on the Tech Able initiative at the Enabling Village;
- Multi-National Companies like National Computer Systems on the vital signs monitoring projects; Innosparks on wheelchair ramps; ST Engineering on their Tech Factor Challenge events; and
- Start-ups on innovating and development of cloud platforms, devices, robotics and AI medical technology, with companies like Pastel Health, Nucleus Dynamics, SoundEye, and Pillpresso, to name a few.
Dr Tan is currently the Vice President of the Asia Pacific Assistive Robotics Association (APARA). He also founded www.LocumSg.com in 2010, a job referral portal which links healthcare institutions directly with a massive pool of locum doctors in Singapore.
Dr Tan's latest health tech involvement includes as Medical Advisor for TUV SUD - Smart Elderly Care @ Home Centre. The centre acts as a 'sandbox' for companies to pilot innovative smart healthcare devices for patients' home use and customising Telepresence Robotics by Ohmnibots for healthcare uses. In 2018, Dr Tan co-founded Wellderly, the world's first blockchain solution for senior care – www.wellderly.network. Since 2019, Dr Tan has been working on smart clothing for health monitoring and trialling on Vivago, the medical-grade activity monitor for seniors. His paper on 'Televital Signs Monitoring Compliance Trial in Singapore' was published in the online journal 'Digital Medicine' in 2018.
Julien Willème, Legal Director – APAC, Medtronic
Julien Willème is Legal Director at Medtronic. Medtronic is the world’s largest medical device company, with four major groups - Cardiac and Vascular Group (CVG), Restorative Therapies Group (RTG), Diabetes Group, and Minimally Invasive Therapies Group (MITG).
Julien lives in Singapore, and he currently is Chief Counsel for Medtronic’s surgical business division (MITG) in the Asia Pacific. Julien is also recently appointed as the global lead for Medtronic’s Data Technologies Legal and Compliance Group. Before joining Medtronic in 2017, Julien worked for Bird & Bird LLP, UCB Pharma and Monsanto where he could fulfil his passion for science while applying his legal and business skills.
Sunita Kannan, ASEAN Lead for AI Advisory / Strategy and Responsible AI, Accenture
Sunita Kannan is currently the ASEAN Lead for AI Advisory / Strategy and Responsible AI at Accenture. She has a wealth of experience in managing and delivering Advanced Analytics, and Artificial Intelligence works for some of the largest Fortune 500 companies across a variety of industries.
Before consulting, Sunita was a PhD Quantum Physics student at the University of Colorado (Boulder). She holds a Master of Science in Quantum Physics and a Bachelors in Mathematics and Physics (Distinction and Honours) from Wellesley College, Massachusetts, USA.
Sunita’s research and interpersonal skills have helped her achieve a solid balance between EQ and IQ. With this, Sunita constantly aims to transcend the norm and deliver real and immersive experiences for her clients.