BASH, Level 3,
Block 79 Ayer Rajah Crescent via Lift Lobby 3
AngelCentral Masterclass Series: Legal Workshop for Angels
Presented by AngelCentral
Partnered with SGInnovate
Calling out to all Angel Investors, Entrepreneurs, VCs, fund managers, academics, corporates and anyone else who wish to learn more about Angel Investing in ASEAN:
Have you ever wanted to understand more about the legal terms and structures behind each startup investment, but found it too complicated and overwhelming to do so? While being aware of them is challenging enough, to be an effective and competent Angel, it is crucial that you go beyond awareness and focus on understanding. You should be aware of the pros and cons of each investment tool, the specific impact of the various terms and clauses, and your rights and obligations as angels.
Why do startups prefer convertible notes? Does a SAFE give investors enough safeguards? What are the legal repercussions if the startups do not follow through with their commitments as stated in the term sheet?
If you wish to have these questions answered, join us for this 3-hour legal masterclass which will provide an overview and in-depth insights on the terms that all angel investors should understand and be aware of. The session will also cover how angels can structure their deals to better protect themselves from potential issues and challenges down the road.
The masterclass will help you to:
- Know what happens during a typical startup investment process. Learn what goes behind an investment process and what to take note of during each stage. Know what it means to complete an investment, how to go about conducting due diligence, and matters of consideration before closing the deal.
- Learn about the capital structure of a company. You will learn about the various rights and preferences of each investor during a liquidation event, the apparent and subtle differences between ordinary & preferred shares, unsecured debt, etc.
- Understand the different investment instruments available for startups. You will know about the features & pros and cons of each investment instrument that startups can employ, the issues behind and challenges of using SAFE and KISS notes, and the appropriate instrument to use for each scenario of investment.
- Gain an overview of a typical startup investment contract and walkthrough of the terms behind a Convertible Loan and Convertible Preferred stock agreement. You will learn about the common terms present in every typical investment agreement, what to look out for, when to employ or modify specific clauses, etc. You will also learn how to protect yourself as an investor and to maximise the probability of success at the same time.
The masterclass will also consist of case studies, group learning exercises, and assessments on sample investment agreements to ensure you maximise your learning and internalise what is taught during the workshop.
Date: 29 February 2020, Saturday
Time: 9:00am – 12.00pm
Venue: Perl & Java @ BASH, Level 3, 79 Ayer Rajah Crescent, Singapore 139955
- Mr. Jonathan Ang, Investment Director, Tembusu Partners
Mr. Jonathan Ang, who is currently an Investment Director in Tembusu Partners and a Legal Counsel in Blackoak LLC, will be teaching on what goes behind an investment process, the capital structure of a company and the pros and cons of typical investment instruments that a startup can employ. The focus of the session will be on having participants understand the key terms that all angels will encounter in legal agreements, and to know their rights and obligations as investors.